Can I just check my own title deeds?

There is no reason why you cannot check your own title deeds to see if you can identify the boundary covenants.  If you don’t have them to hand, we can quickly obtain, compile and send you electronic copies of your Land Registry title deeds. Simply order the “Basic Title Deeds Compilation on the Order page.   

If, however, you would like the peace of mind of receiving your results in the form of a personalised boundary report prepared by experts in the field, you can order a Standard Boundary Report. In nearly all the cases we deal with, boundary responsibility can only be confirmed by reviewing the property’s older deeds and transfers. The wording in these documents is often complex and be easily misconstrued by anyone unfamiliar with documents of this nature.

Can you confirm the exact position of the boundary?

Land Registry Title Plans only show general boundaries, so they cannot be relied upon to confirm exact boundary lines between properties. Older title deeds including Conveyances and Transfers may contain dimensions, descriptions or annotations that provide a useful starting point when trying to determine boundary positioning.

However, in all cases we would strongly advise instructing a specialist boundary surveyor who will attend your property and investigate the position on the ground. The surveyor can search for any physical boundary markers and combine these with any information obtained from legal deeds, older maps and other documents to form an opinion about where the boundary line is located.

If you would like a professional opinion as to the extent of your land or position of your boundary lines, please order the Comprehensive Package.

Can I show my neighbour a copy of my Boundary report to show who is responsible for the boundary we share?

Our standard report is private and confidential to you. But, once received, you can choose who you share it with.

As part of our standard service, you will be sent copies of the title documents, deeds or plans from which we conclude who is responsible for repair and maintenance of your boundary. Your title documents are public, so you could share these with neighbours and explain responsibilities to them based on our report.

However, please be aware that, in the event of formal boundary disputes with court proceedings and in accordance with Rule 35 of the Civil Procedure Rules, you will need a specialist, independent boundary surveyor.

I have a boundary dispute can I use your report as evidence of who is responsible for the boundary?

Our standard reports are intended to give you a starting point to identify boundary responsibility and general positioning. As such, information contained within our reports can be used as a basis on which to start a formal dispute.

However, court proceedings disputing the exact positioning of boundaries requires an expert report prepared by specialist boundary surveyors for the purposes of court proceedings in accordance with the Civil Procedure Rules (CPR). 

For more information on this subject, visit:

What happens if my title deeds are silent about boundary responsibility?

If your title deeds are missing the infamous ‘T’ marks, you’re not alone. It happens in most of the cases we work with.
Your boundary responsibility typically can only be confirmed by reviewing the property’s older documentation.

A word of warning: the wording in deeds and transfers is complex. As such, it can be easily misconstrued by anyone unfamiliar with legal documents of this nature.

Customers are advised on this in their personalised boundary report. If your title deeds do not contain information about boundary responsibility, it also includes guidance on further options, such as drawing up boundary agreements if your neighbours are amenable or asking us to establish a pattern of responsibility by downloading the title deeds of adjacent / neighbouring land  (additional fees apply).

I rent the house that I live in, can I still use your service?

Yes –  we can confirm who is responsible for the boundary between you and your neighbour.

However, you will also need to carefully read your tenancy agreement to confirm who is responsible (ie you or your landlord).

Under some tenancy agreements, tenants are responsible for repairs of fences and boundary walls. However, others leave this responsibility with the landlord/freeholder of the property.

Our tenancy agreement review service can help. Contact us now to find out about more. Please contact us at 

I have a leasehold property/flat - can I still use your services? is primarily designed to help those who own or live in freehold property.

If you live in a leasehold property with access to a garden, you will need to check your lease to confirm whether it’s your responsibility or your landlord’s.

Leases can be complex and should be read carefully to determine rights and responsibilities.

Fortunately, our lease confirmation service can help. Contact us now to find out about more: